Blog Update

This is my SITREP or rather Situational Report on how things have been going here at Crab Creek Quilting Company. It's been awhile since I wrote anything so here goes. I'm finding myself reminiscing about the Industry, Market and the Future. I need to put things into perspective or at least into my perspective to give an accurate account of my journey up to this point. This Blog is more-so for me, but I hope it can make someone happy just reading it, understand my business -or give them something else to gossip about tee hee!

The Internet gave Comfort and Connection

You can spend hours and hours looking on the Internet at quilting patterns, designs, the newest designers and fabric lines. Many get inspiration from viewing made products and watching tutorials. The WORLD Pandemic pushed so many people out of stores and online for not only goods but information. Many Quilters went from in-person classes and knowledge shares to include sew togethers and Guild sew days, to the Internet. We Zoomed, Facetimed, Facebooked, Tweeted, and viewed thousands of ideas on Instagram. Literally, the Internet Blew Up. Some enjoyed the old school magazine subscriptions, or joined email newsletters because of fear of identity theft or bank account fraud, some even refused to join the social media cult, but they were still online in some fashion. I think I see a NO-data flip phone about once a week here at the shop, maybe it's because I'm in a predominately rural area. However, and as with anything, not all that Glitters is Gold, especially with the INTERNET... We saw an uptick of horrible free patterns, tools that didn't do anything, paid for orders that never arrived, and massive shipping fee's, and  did I mention Back-orders??? 

After 1 year of Quilt Shop Ownership

I so looked forward to in-person customers and knew I needed a robust website to enter the industry. (especially in the middle of wheat country) I brainstormed, painted and looked for ideas or made my own up, that would make me unique in this area, as there are 4 other shops with 45 minutes of all directions from me. At first sales were up, then down, then up again. I made YouTube videos, Facebook Lives Shows, kept products coming and and coordinated stellar samples for all to enjoy. I even made sure I posted 3 times a day" as the algorithms say you must. The excitement of a new business opening usually only lasts about a year as is natural with customer churn rates. Sharing the customer base with the other shops was easy at first until I saw that those shops were ending to be just like me-or me like them. Depends on how you look at it I suppose. My customers kept wanting NEW. I mean like weekly, new this new that. It's very expensive especially if your picker is broken as some thing sell and others sit, for MONTHS waiting for a return on your investment. There are so many new designers, new fabrics, new notions, NEW NEW NEW. It's hard to keep up! It's hard to know what to choose! AND Boy oh Boy am I exhausted! Starting a business in 2021 was a crap shoot as so many businesses had closed the previous year and no one knew if life was ever going to get back to normal. Well it isn't and probably never will be the carefree America we once knew, for some people.

Find Joy

I'm finding that MY joy isn't found in how many sales I make, who comes to classes or how many interactions I get on my social media accounts. I'm super happy with "my space" and find it so relaxing to have a whole day sitting in the Shop doing mini inventory reviews, sewing or chatting on the phone with a girlfriend.  I'm finding what I want to spend my time , money and energy on. I have been so blessed to have some wonderful ladies come to my aid without expectations, sign-up for classes or just stop in to take me to lunch. (yes I know people get mad when they come and the shop is closed, calm down-its only fabric! I have a life too, as if I even need to point that out!) This little Quilt Shop in the Middle of Nowhere, has been really fun, mostly! I received some great advice from a gal, she said "just because 1 person wants the thing or makes the nasty comment or leaves a sour note under the door, doesn't mean all people feel that way"  And its true!  No need to get wrapped around the axels in the first year eh? Seriously tho I need to slow down and enjoy the ride a bit methinks. So...

Getting Back to Basics

It's back to basics. Besides, how many rulers, notions and tools do you really need to make a quilt? In the old days it was fabric, thread and a sharp needle. Now that we are definitely in a Recession people are holding onto their hard earned cash and re-learning how to make do. This has me thinking that I really don't need to go into debt filling the shop with all "the latest" fabrics or buying notions someone just may come in to buy. I 've grown a nice solid foundation of beautiful fabrics in the Shop inventory with plenty of gadgets to choose from. Stop in if you're out here and browse or just visit for awhile. If you are planning a special trip with friends, call me, check my website calendar for hours or my google Meta-card or my social media (yes I update ALL THREE just for you)  because alas, it's just me in my own 1 man butt-kicking contest. No fame, no glory. Just me, doing what I love and wanting to share it with others while my husband continues to work. Yes, I AM RETIRED! Don't get me wrong I know I need to make sales, I do have rent, power, sewer, garbage and internet to pay for after all! lol. So this next year it is my Goal to get better on my longarm, create some fun-ness , and just sew with my favorite people. I feel like there's been this rush to come out with the newest thing in this Industry and meanwhile some really great classic designs, quilts, friendships and fabrics are getting lost in the mayhem.  Don't get me wrong, I'll still be ordering stuff but It's time to SLOW Down - and Enjoy the Ride!! :) 

I'd like to give a big shoutout to all of you who signed up for my Newsletter and read my Blog (even if I have to post that I've updated it to get someone to read it) Shopped with me, came to my special events, bought during a sale, came all the way to another town during my first ever Quilt Shows or sewed with me and my friends in the classroom! I really do appreciate all the wonderful ladies and gentlemen who drove out here to this little "paradise" to see my Shop and all it's wonders!

Happy Quilting-or-sewing or making or whatever it is you do to experience JOY in this short life!

Until next time~

Brandy





Come in and tell me you've read this and I'll give you 50% off of 1 item till the end of August-anything, so choose wisely !!

Comments

Popular Posts