Online Spring Fling Blog & Shop Hop-National Black Forest Cake Day

 


Today is the Online Spring Fling Blog & Shop Hop I'm participating in! When I decided to join in on this fun event offered through a FB Quilt Shop Owners Group they asked me for a Theme, I was like "Theme, AAAHHH I need a Theme" So I quickly looked online to see what I could come up with for March 28th. And Low and behold it's National Black Forest Cake Day :)

Ok so I had a theme-now what!? I like to chit chat with all the ladies who come in the shop about the million trillion things that run through my head while trying to build this business. Who better to help me than the Community I have a business in? Anyway,  tying Quilts to Cake kept stumping me. I try to do something different than the rest of the quilting community, but had NO IDEA! 

Laura said "What about the Cake Stand block"? The what? ( I've been soaking my brain in clothes making and it was a perfect suggestion at just the right time). 

This is a Vintage Pattern and HARD TO FIND. Maybe I have it in a quilting magazine or book somewhere but I needed it, and needed it now. I found one on the internet that uses 2 1/2" Strips! YAY I always have leftover scraps and usually strip my pieces for later stash projects! Laura is a genius!



"Cake Stand" is super quick and easy to piece. All you have to do is sew 2 1/2" background squares to one end of a 2 1/2" X 4 1/2" Focus Fabric strip, then sew a 2 1/2 X 4 1/2"" background strip to the other end of the Focus Fabric Strip, (you'll need 4 of these for the "cake") . Placement is key so its best to lay your pieces out to make sure your squares and strips are all in the right order. The "cake stand" is super easy too. Same 2 1/2" strips to both ends of  2 1/2" X 8 1/2" Focus Fabric strip (you'll need 2 each for the block). And voila' a perfect Cake Stand Block! They finish at 8.5". Add 2.5" Sashing to create 10 1/2" blocks for a Wonderful Quilt Assembly! 

I just want to make a block for every flavor of cake I love! 

I'll Share pictures of the Cake I made on Social Media, but here the Recipe I found from https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Black-Forest-Cake-1724077?prm-v1#directions if you want to make one eat of your own! 

INGREDIENTS
  

  • 1-2/3 cups cake flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1-1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1/3 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
  • 2-1/4 tsp vanilla
  • 5 egg whites10 Tbsp liquid egg whites

INSTRUCTIONS
 

  • Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray two 8" round cake pans with cooking spray.
  • In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, sod and salt. Make a well in the center and add milk, oil, yogurt and vanilla. Stir until just combined.
  • In a large bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/4 of egg whites to the chocolate mixture, then gently add remainder. Do not overmix. Divide evenly into pans. Bake 35-40 minutes. Do not overbake. Cool on wire racks.
  • ASSEMBLY: Filling: mix cherry pie filling with kirsch; set aside. Frosting: Whip cream until stiff peaks form. Add sugar and vanilla and beat one last minute. Remove 3/4 cup and set aside. Whip cocoa into remaining cream. Topping: Shave chocolate; set aside.
  • Slice each cake layer in half. Place the first layer on a plate and spread 1/2 of the cherry mixture on top. Add a cake layer, spread the vanilla whipped cream over this layer. Top with another cake layer, cherry mixture and final cake layer. Frost with chocolate whipped cream and top with chocolate shavings.

NOTES

FILLING and FROSTING 2 x 540mL cans cherry pie filling 4 tsp kirsch or cherry brandy 2-1/2 cups whipping cream 1 Tbsp vanilla 1/4 cup sugar 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa 2 squares semisweet chocolate
Happy Quilting,Brandy

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts